Tuesday, September 14

I Get That from My Dad

Daddy was always such a unique character, he did things his way and always marched to the beat of his own drum.  They say that when your kids grow up, each year you can see more and more of yourself in them.  This has proven to be more than true in my family.  

As I continue to grow up, more and more people tell me I'm the spitting image of my mom (a lot even go as far to say I sound like her and laugh just like her!)  Daddy, however, gave me something much better than his looks.  He taught me that being unique is perfect, the world needs more of it.  I remember growing up, several convorsations I had with dad about how girls were just plain mean.  When I was younger I was made fun of a lot about my weight and for many years before high school my best friend was my journal.  When I'd call daddy crying about it, he'd always tell me "someday you'll see - when people realize how beautiful you are they will come crawling back for forgiveness."  

Thinking back, it seems like most of my memories with dad had something to do with either the cooking channel or scary movies.  When I finally agreed to watch a scary movie with him when I was around the age of 15 - he was so thrilled that I was finally growing up and we could enjoy that together.  It came to be that I fell in love with horror just like my dad, and to this day seeing a scary movie always makes me smile because of the great times I had with dad.  

Losing him right before my life was supposed to take off was really hard, and a lot of days I was so angry with God for taking him from us...but as time goes on, I know that God needed him more & now I have a guardian angel who I have felt save my life more than once the past 2 and a half years.  I still miss him very much, and especially after losing Ryan I just wanted my dad here to hold me while I cried...but days when I say something like him, or find myself acting just like he did - it makes me so proud to say "Yep, I get that from my dad."  

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! You're on the right track, Dear Heart!!!

    ReplyDelete