Thursday, June 30

Memories by the Campfire


Last night was the first night since Saturday that I slept in a real bed.  As amazing as it was, I still wouldn't mind trading it for the sleeping bag and tent that I spent the previous few nights in.  For the first time in my adult life I went camping with friends.  I seriously underestimated how much fun I would have when I got there.  At first I was awkward, not sure why I'd decided to do this -- I even picked a fight with the boy about something stupid.  However, the next morning I woke up refreshed, decided to stop acting like an idiot and just have fun with everyone like we were all hanging out at home.  As pathetic as it sounds, it was hard for me to go without makeup for fear of everyone seeing the "uncovered" me, I didn't want to wear my swimsuit at first, but most of all I was terrified to go down to the water.  I knew the rest of the group would just jump in and swim...but I would be afraid.  For as long as I can remember I've had this fear of not being able to see my feet in water... but I didn't want to share that with the group and look like a baby.  Tom knew, and I'd hoped that would be enough and that he'd just help without revealing me to the group.  Well he did just that - helped me onto my "raft" as we called them, and although was frustrated at first - when I reminded him about my fear he was understanding and did what he could to keep me calm.  By the end of the trip, I was begging everyone to go down to the water :). 

I came home with tons of bug bites, a pretty epic sunburn, the feeling accomplishment for facing my fear, and some amazing memories that will last a lifetime.  It made me really stop and think about how lucky I am to have such great people in my life.  On top of the whole trip though - the cherry: I got the job in the Alzheimer/Dementia unit that I wanted so badly!!!!! :D 

I'm a sunburnt but happy little camper tonight :)


Arianne

1 comment: